Keepy here with the first instalment of my 1000pt Mechanicum Army. As I was saying in my previous post, this army is going to be used in "The Emperor's Legions" tournament held in Brisbane in mid March this year. Its an event I am really looking forward to and word on the street is there are a few VERY accomplished painters (read: Slayer Sword / Armies on Parade winners) so I am really going to have to raise the bar if I want to stand a chance with paint scores on this one.
I decided to build this army in one hit, sort of like a factory approach. All the parts are cleaned of flash and mould lines then a small hole is drilled to allow a toothpick to be glued to make spraying easier. These are then stuck into foam blocks. Nothing like pointing your airbrush / spray can at some parts to have them launched into orbit and spend the next 20 mins searching around the place for them.
|Early shot of progress, 1x Castellax down|
This process can be a bit tedious but makes it easier in the end. If you can push thru and get the bulk of what you want done it makes for great painting sessions.
|Thallax Cohort, Magos and lots of Castellax bits and bases|
I fixed the feet to the bases for ease of posing. I didn't want to get a heap of well painted parts then have to damage them fitting to bases just to get the right pose. Once again I am using a combination of Secret Weapon Urban Rubble and Urban Streets 60/40mm bases. This proved difficult with the Castellax's large feet, as they would not sit flat. Quick fix: Mount the feet on some sheet brass and rubble! The brass is twisted to look like it has buckled under the weight of a large robot. I will fill in bits of the base with extras like I did with my Justaerin bases, that will come later.
|Brass plate fixed to foot|
|Brass plate shaped to looked squashed by foot|
With the feet in place, the rest of the model could be posed and sub-assemblies were made, mainly of the weapons systems, arms and legs. This will make painting easier. I magnetised the Castellax's Flamers and Boltguns so quick changes could be made, you are also not stuck with one option of weapons. I used 2mm x 1mm rare earth magnets, the smallest size I could without compromising the strength of the magnet or the resin of the model.
I wanted to use Darkfire Cannons, and since there is no model for that yet I have to proxy one. It is just an IG Lascannon and an Imperial Targeter with a bit of modification. This also has a 3mm x 2mm Rare earth magnet so it can be swapped out with the Bolt Cannon.
|Makeshift Darkfire Cannons|
The Bolt Cannon ammo hopper and belt were also magnetised allowing a full change of weapon load outs. This was only done on one squad of Castellax Battle-Automata.
|Magnetised Bolt Cannon hopper|
|Getting there, 3x Castellax down|
|Done! Well almost|
I numbered off the foam trays and the bottom of the bases so no mix ups occur during the painting. Main reason for this is I intend on going all out with the bases again and individual poses will only fit on their own customised base.
So there you go, a Mechanicum army built and prepped in a couple of days.
That's all for now, stay tuned for more soon!
1. Mechanicum 1000pts List
2. Mechanicum WIP 1
3. Mechanicum WIP 2
4. Mechanicum WIP 3 - Basing
5. Mechanicum WIP 4
6. Mechanicum 1000pts Completed!